Monday, January 26, 2015

Week 3: Caribou- Our Love

Week 3 Features Our Love by Caribou. Here is what we thought of it:

Mike: This album isn't that new as it was released back in October. However, it has received enough attention that I feel like we had to listen to it as that’s really what his whole project is about. The album is very well composed throughout and I feel that rather than telling a listener what to think it forces him or her to ask themselves questions. I got this from the feel of the music rather than the lyrical content, with the actual lyrics touching mainly on relationships from friends to family. Although it is a dance record, I feel like most of this album isn’t something I would dance to or blast in my car. Rather, I would blast it as I lie on my bed, staring at the ceiling, thinking about past lovers. 

Alex: This album creates the energy and smoothness of a DJ set one would expect to here in a club. However, contrary to the effect of a club, this album turns this energy into a hypnotically subtle wash of melodies and rhythms. It sounded, at first, as though it where a mix that was missing a drop that would cement it as text book EDM. After listening to it a second and third time (for this record, I HIGHLY recommend multiple listens before making an opinion), I found I was almost unable to even articulate my thoughts on it. It entrances the listener in a way that defies opinions. I find that this album can grab your attention and refuse to let go. Even if you don’t particularly like it. Parts of the record are unapologetically obscure. Using subtlety and false build-ups to make you wonder if you’re listening to an interlude, or if this is in fact a song all on its own. This album doesn't have a song that I would name my favourite. Rather, the entire album, to me, sounds like a single piece that should be listened to in one shot with the lights off. Our Love is record which requires a level of tolerance for being immersed in a piece of music to truly get all you can out of it. If this is something that appeals to you, you will be greatly rewarded with a mesmerizing experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment